Thursday, September 10, 2009

Definitely the Tropics!

Janet's latest tropical adventure:

After a full day of exploring San Isidro de El General, we were back at the B&B chatting with the Scottish owner, Sheilagh. She invited us to walk with her up to a cabin on the property so I went to our bedroom to get my shoes. Back in Kelowna I have a pair of garden shoes that I sometimes leave outside. I always shake them out before putting them on just in case a Black Widow Spider has crawled inside. Although I knew that I should be doing this with all shoes here, the thought didn't occur to me in the bedroom of this lovely house. I put on my left shoe but my right one would not go all the way on - there was something in the toe. When I pulled it off (very quickly) and shook it, a large (by our standards), black spider fell out.






Sheilagh confimed that indeed it was a tarantula - "but just a wee one". It was about two inches long. It seemed that I must have squished it and stunned it a bit with my toe because it wasn't moving much. I didn't get bitten - it must not have been in the right position to get a grip on me. You should see the thorough searching and rather violent shaking and thumping ceremony that occurs now each time I put my shoes on!

No comments:

Post a Comment